Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2016

What a Comfort (day 32)

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

We mourn when someone very close to us dies. It’s natural and right. We will miss our loved one even if we have assurance of their being in Heaven. But Jesus says blessed are they that mourn. Why should we mourn if no one has died close to us?

In Matthew 26: 34 Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Jesus 3 times that night. Peter is adamant that he will never deny Jesus even if he must die. And yet on down in verses 69-74 Peter denies that he knows Jesus, even emphasizing his denial with cursing. But later it says in verse 75 that he went out and wept bitterly.

Have you ever done something that you were unbelievably ashamed of, whether anyone else knew about it or not? I have, more than once. Have you considered that in doing that shameful act, whatever it was, that you denied Jesus? You betrayed Jesus!

Peter wept bitter tears. Have you mourned because of your sin?

After Peter wept and even went back to fishing to try to get his head straight after Jesus was crucified, Jesus came to him with comfort. “…feed my lambs…tend my sheep…feed my sheep.” Peter probably felt worthless, but Jesus said I have something important for you to do. (John 21:15-17)

When I see that I have betrayed Jesus by disobedience to the truth that I know, I feel worthless. But when I humble myself admit my sin and mourn, he says I have something important for you to do.

What a comfort!

Father in Heaven, thank you so very much that although you are completely sufficient in all things, you still desire my help. Even though I will mess up as much or more than I get right, you still want me to help. In your unfathomable love I am not worthless. Beyond my understanding you are working to help me be conformed to the image of Jesus. What a Comfort! Thank you Father in Jesus wonderful name. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment