Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Watch out for Rocks (day 14)

And other fell on the rocky ground, where it had not much earth; and straightway it sprang up, because it had no deepness of earth: and when the sun was risen, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. (Mark 4:5-6)

Sometimes someone will come to a meeting of some kind and get really excited. They may come a few times or a few years. They get active and are converted for all appearances. They may even get baptized and have a testimony. But then they disappear and the next time you see them they are almost hostile or outright hostile to you and for sure to the idea of following Jesus.

What happened?

Jesus says “they have no root in themselves.” (vs :17) In John 15 Jesus says, “I am the true vine and my Father is the husbandman.” When a branch is grafted to a vine or other plant of any kind, it gets its nourishment from that parent plant. If I am looking at the music or the programs or the personalities for my growth, I am looking at things that cannot give me life. They are like stones that have no nourishment in them for me. I must be connected to Jesus in love and obedience in order to be nourished and to grow. Otherwise there is the danger that I will die away.

Enjoy the music, the programs and the people, but first and always be connected to Jesus and through him to the Father.

I suspect that this has other applications also. Things such as hobbies or possessions or ambitions about success or happiness can also be stones that keep me from being rooted in Jesus.


Father in Heaven thank you for helping me see that things in my life that I look to for gratification or satisfaction can be stones that hinder me from being properly connected to you. I need grace Oh Father to see this danger and to keep all of these other things in their proper place. In my heart. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Than K you so much for this article. The rocks are my attachments that crowd out my hidden life in Him.

    ReplyDelete