Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Put It Into Practice (day 23)

James is a wonderful little book, full of practical instruction for living the life God intends for each of us. I do love this little book. Let’s just take a few minutes to look at 2 verses in the first chapter to see what God has for us there. Verse 21 says;

Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and overflowing of evil, receive in meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls.

I see so much to write about but let us just look at, “receive with meekness the implanted Word which is able to save your souls.”

I may read a devotional and think I have done my Christian thing, whatever that means. I may read my Bible in the same way. But have I received it?  Have I allowed the things I read to search my heart? Remember Jesus said “He that has ears to hear let him hear.” As I read or even memorize verses I must let them sink in and be implanted in my heart, in order to grow there and bear fruit for God.

Next let’s take a minute to look at verse 25 in a modern translation.

But if you look closely into the perfect law that sets people free, and keep on paying attention to it and do not simply listen and then forget it, but put it into practice---you will be blessed by God in what you do.

This tells me how to be blessed by God. This has been key for me in learning how to move forward as a disciple of Jesus. Let these things sink into your heart.


Wonderful Father in Heaven, thank you so much for this word of clear instruction. Thank you for this promise of success if I will simply do what you say. Once again I must admit that I am weak and forgetful, easily distracted. Please be my help and guide as I set out intending to do your will. I need grace to be obedient and faithful. In the wonderful name of Jesus my Savior and guide. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment