Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2016

An Enemy of God (day 28)


Blessed are the poor in spirit. Theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Who does God resist? Who does God oppose? Who has made themselves an enemy of God?

But He gives more grace. Therefore, He says, God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble.

I have been a Christian for a long time. I went to Bible College to become a preacher. (I flunked out) I have been in several fellowships and been active in most of them. One of my most difficult struggles is being proud and thinking I know more than almost everyone else about the things that matter.

The moment I entertain that thought I make myself the enemy of God and he does resist me. It doesn’t matter if I think I am doing “the Lord’s work” or not.

These six things does the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaks lies, and he that sows discord among brethren. (Proverbs 6:16-19)

Notice the thing that heads the list of the things the Lord hates; A proud look. An example of the opposite of this can be found in an admonition from the Apostle Paul in Philippians 2:3.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

I struggle with this command often. Who are others? How far do I go with this mindset? But I always come up against the fact that God did not choose to put any limitations on the others.

This is tremendously serious. I can choose to be blessed by God or I can choose to be his enemy.


Father in Heaven, thank you from the depths of my being for showing me the way to life and showing me clearly where I have gone astray. In my own strength of will I am sure I will fail again and again. Please Dear Father be my help and strengthen me to take the way of humility. In Jesus lovely name; Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment