Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2016

Take your sorrow to God (day 36)

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
There are many situations about or in which we are powerless. Often for me those are situations where I am inclined to become angry. Then I make demands that I have no authority to make. I say things like, “They should know better.” Or “They should do this or that. It’s just not right.”

One of the most difficult things that I have experienced is that as my children grow up my authority over them diminishes. I can no longer require them to make right choices (the ones I believe are right), and they make choices I believe are harmful to them. With friends and loved ones, I truly have no authority.

I have been one of those who gives unasked for advice. That doesn’t work so well.

I am finding that if I put these verses together in these situations, there is a better result. In my poverty I take my concern to God. I tell him how worried I am and how I fear for my loved one. Then I see more clearly that He has the same concern for their well being and he has power to help. That is a comfort.

What about where governments are involved? Do I get stirred up emotionally and make outlandish statements about things I cannot change? Here for me are clear instructions. As I have taken these things more seriously I have found comfort.

First of all, then, I exhort that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, (1 Timothy 2:1-3)


Blessed Father in Heaven help me to see clearly how poor I am and how little I am able to do by the force of my will. In that poverty give me grace to mourn and trust you for the comfort that will come to those who are lowly in heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment