Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

True Worship (day 19)

Let’s take another look at the verse in Romans 12:1; this time in the Good News Bible.

So then, my friends, because of God's great mercy to us I appeal to you: Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him. This is the true worship that you should offer.
In the beginning of this verse Paul says, “because of God’s great mercy to us.” Some translations have indicated that this phrase refers us back to the previous verses in chapter 11. Those verses speak specifically about how God has been good and kind to us when we were in rebellion towards him. 

This is always good for me to think about.

In this translation the verse ends with the words, “This is the true worship that you should offer.”

There is a lot of discussion about worship. I have gotten pretty excited about what constitutes a good worship time. Here the question is settled for me. Contemporary or traditional, organ or band; these things mean little in the long run. True worship is giving my whole being to obey and glorify God. This absolutely does not include judging how others are doing that. The question for me is, “Am I offering myself to God as a living sacrifice?”


Father in Heaven, thank you so very much for this clear instruction from heaven. I am so full of other ideas that I often miss this simple application of your word. Please give me wisdom and grace to see where I am holding areas back, and grace to see the reasonableness of offering everything that I am to you at all times. I also need grace to quit all judging of how other people are doing it. I need so much help, thank you that your will for me is to give me the help I need to accomplish your will. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment