Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Look at Moses (day 41)

Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth.
In Numbers 12 there is a short story about the life of Moses and his brother and his sister. They were complaining about Moses’ foreign wife and were feeling that they were worthy of just as much honor as Moses because God had used them to speak as well. And by the way, God heard their complaining.

Then we can read what follows.

(Now the man Moses was very meek, more than all the men on the face of the earth.) (Numbers 12:3)

You don’t have to look very far to see advertising statements like, “World Famous” or “The world’s biggest” “best” or “fastest” or whatever. There is a lot of fuss made over hamburgers and balls of string. Here The Word of God says “Moses was meeker than anyone in the world.”

That’s nice. What does it mean?

I looked at this for a while and it finally dawned on me. Moses did not make any effort to defend himself. Is this what it means to be meek? I suspect it may give us an idea of at least part of what that means.

Consider again what Peter says about Jesus in 1 Peter 2:23.

who when He was reviled did not revile in return. When He suffered, He did not threaten, but gave Himself up to Him who judges righteously.

If that is what it means to be meek, I have some work to do. I am far too eager to answer back, to defend myself. Also I got a bonus correction here. When it says “And Jehovah heard it.” I saw again but more clearly that God truly does hear when I complain about his ministers.

Father of mercy and compassion, thank you for this word of encouragement to be becoming one who is learning to be done with all defense and answering back. Moses trusted you and you defended him. Jesus trusted you even through death and in the end you glorified him. I can trust you and let you be my defense. Give me grace for this. Also Father please give me grace to be done with all evil speaking. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment