Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Happy are those who are sad (day 35)

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Sometimes the newer translations help me to think about things I hadn’t seen before. A translation that I have on my computer called the Bible in Basic English says this verse this way;

Happy are those who are sad: for they will be comforted.
At first when I saw this I thought, “Now that sounds silly.” But as it cooked a little and probably with some help from the Holy Spirit I thought of other verses in God’s Word that explain why I was having a problem. Consider if you will Isiah 55:8-9;

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor your ways My ways, says Jehovah. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
No one wants to be unhappy. But God’s word says that there is something to be desired here. How can that be?  In Isiah 53:3 the prophet speaks of Jesus and says:

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
And then the writer of Hebrews says of Jesus;

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore, God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. (Hebrews 1:9)

Although he was “a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief” he was anointed with the oil of gladness above his fellows. Someone has said, “He was the happiest man that ever lived.”
Jesus chose the way of sorrow and grief that he might have everlasting joy. If I will follow Jesus that is the way I must choose in order to come to the same everlasting joy.

Happy are those who are sad:

Father these words are pretty scary for me at first look. I need grace to obey what I see here. Give me grace to be always looking to Jesus who is the pioneer and perfecter of this way, who for the everlasting joy that was out where it could not be seen, endured the cross and ignored the shame. Please give me grace for this in each situation. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment