Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Meek Enough to say Follow Me (day 44)

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
And walking by the Sea of Galilee, Jesus saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea. For they were fishermen. And He said to them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they immediately left their nets and followed him. (Matthew 4:18-20)

Have you ever thought about how odd it was for this guy walking along the beach to say to some professional fishermen, “follow me”?

Take off your religious glasses and just look at this from a natural standpoint. It is really kind of surprising and then to see that they just left their business and did what he said. That is amazing to me.

Think of what it must take to say boldly “follow me.” Now if your taking someone to find the canned peas in the grocery all you need is to know where they are. But if you are telling someone how to become like Jesus, that’s a little different story.

There seems to be two kinds of people who would say “follow me.” The first group that I think of are the very arrogant. They want followers for vanity’s sake. The second are the very meek. They are confident in the way they are going that it is the best way, and for love want others to go that way as well. Both of these people need tremendous boldness.

(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) (Numbers 12:3)

And still Moses said to the Nation of Israel, “follow me out of slavery and bondage.” He didn’t want to be the guy but he believed God had told him, so he had to obey.

Jesus obeyed his Father in all things and so he said “follow me.”

Paul, who had persecuted the church when he came to the truth said,

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Therefore, as you see me following Jesus I tell you as well. Follow me.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalms 139:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment