Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Way to true Joy (day 49)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled.

It seems more and more that whenever someone says anything about being righteous someone else jumps in with, “We can’t save ourselves!” but who is talking about saving ourselves? Not me! I am talking about following Jesus.

If I am going to follow Jesus, it only seems reasonable that I will want to do whatever I can to become like him. Therefore, I should be working to develop similar likes and dislikes to his. In Hebrews 1:9 it says;

You have loved righteousness and hated iniquity,

If this is a description of Jesus, then if I am a follower of Jesus this is something that I should be learning to do as well.

If we read the entire verse, we can see how that will work out.

You have loved righteousness and hated iniquity, therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows.

In Matthew 5 we can see the truth that Jesus spoke. In Hebrews 1 we can see the truth that Jesus lived, and the reward.

This is what this series is about; becoming disciples and learning to observe all the things that Jesus has commanded.

It is easy to look around and find sin everywhere to condemn. But I need to find the sin that is in me and hate that. I need to look for ways that I can be righteous and love that. Then I am following Jesus. I am inclined to look outside my self but that is not the way Jesus went, so it should not be the way for me.

I am learning to be a disciple. I am not very good at it yet, but I have great hope. I hope you understand this. Let us learn together.


Father of love and mercy, thank you so much for the example that Jesus has given us of loving righteousness and hating iniquity. Help me to grow in faithfulness here. I am so easily drawn away and inclined to make excuses. Jesus never did that. I do need grace to follow his example. Please give me that grace, in His name and for your glory, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment