Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Mercy in the way I speak (day 55)

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.
I am commanded to practice mercy with my words.

Titus is a delightful letter of practical instructions. I was looking for a certain scripture and found it there and ended up reading the entire letter. I recommend it.
In chapter 3 at the beginning (vs. 1-2) Paul says,

Put them in mind to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to every good work, to speak evil of no one, not being quarrelsome, but forbearing, showing all meekness to all men.

“Speak evil of no one,” Wow! Now that is a challenge.

Things like this may be the reason that at the beginning of Matthew 5 it says

And seeing the multitudes, He went up into a mountain. And when He had sat down, His disciples came to Him. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying,

The “them” that Jesus taught was not the multitude. It was “his disciples.” Words like this are for disciples not casual Christians.

When I see this instruction and know I must take it seriously, I am very aware of my need for help to obey what the Word of God tells me to do.

There are a lot of things that I am inclined to say about too many people. But, the Word of God quietly tells me “speak evil of no one.”  

Heavenly Father I am so inclined to be many things but merciful is not among them. I desperately need your grace to help me here, especially with my words. Thank you that your will is that I be changed to be like Jesus and you give the help we need always when we ask. In Jesus lovely name, Amen.


Let your speech be always with grace, having been seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. (Colossians 4:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment