Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2016

Walk Like your Heritage (day 46)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled.

And God created man in His image; in the image of God He created him. He created them male and female. (Genesis 1:27)
Think of it. This is our heritage. Many people boast about their ancestors, saying things like, “I am a direct descendant of this or that well know person.” It is not uncommon for people to wear a certain kind of clothing to demonstrate or proclaim that they are Irish or Indian or what have you. Sometimes they will begin to use figures of speech that identify them with their national heritage. They want to look like their heritage.

I don’t know that there is anything wrong about wanting to identify with my ancestors. I would very much like to visit England, but probably as much to see where my favorite writers lived as to visit the village of Everingham north of London.

However, if I consider my first heritage, isn’t it logical that I should want to be identified as much as possible with the God who made me in His image.

I never did anything to have the name Everingham. I don’t deserve it one way or another. But I have been encouraged to be a good example of what it means to be an Everingham.

In the same way and to a much greater degree, I have done absolutely nothing that qualifies me to be called a child of God. Yet, because of God’s wonderful mercy I am able to boldly say that He has made me his child.

Therefore, to desire to be a good example of what it means to be a child of God might be to desire to be righteous. That is my desire and hunger, how about you?

I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you that you walk worthy of the calling with which you are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:1-3)



No comments:

Post a Comment