Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

Mercy and Forgiveness (day 53)

Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy.
In Matthew 6:9-13 Jesus teaches us what is commonly called the Lord’s Prayer. In verse 12 he says, “And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.” Here is another part of The Lord’s Prayer that we are inclined to just read or say without thinking. I especially have a hard time thinking of it when someone cuts me off in a line, or when someone is rude to me or someone I care about. But just a little later in verses 14-15 Jesus nails the lid on this one.

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mercy is that quality of life that gives kindness when condemnation is deserved.

Mercy is never deserved and everyone needs mercy often.

God is Mercy to the very extreme. Throughout His word we can see God being extremely merciful to those who did not deserve it. Preserving a rebellious nation, forgiving a murderer, sending Jesus to redeem a world lost because of rebellion and sin.

That mercy is offered freely to all who ask for it. At the same time, we see that God is just. There is judgement for those who refuse mercy.

It is God’s mercy that redeems me and causes me to be Born Again. It is also God’s mercy that gives me grace to become like Jesus.

What can a just God do with someone who refuses his grace?

Jesus says “… if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

This is extremely serious!

Not only is it serious, but as with all of the blessings the condition is followed by a promise of tremendous value to someone who recognizes their need for mercy.


Father in Heaven, Father of Mercy thank you for this wonderful promise. Thank you for the truth that is revealed here. Thank you that as I learn to become merciful, I am becoming more like Jesus, my Lord and my Savior. That I might become a glory to His name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment