Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Inherit the earth? (day 45)

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Someone told me this is their favorite blessing. I think they might not understand the real meaning of the blessing. But then we all see as through a glass darkly (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Moses (the meekest man on the face of the earth (Numbers 12:3)) died on a mountain top alone and had no property. Jesus died on a cross and we have no record of him having any property. Paul certainly didn’t have what we would think of as a glorious inheritance.

What does it mean to inherit the earth? The American dream is to own property, but I think that is an illusion. Jesus says (Matthew 6:19-21)

Do not lay-up treasures on earth for yourselves, where moth and rust corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay-up treasures in Heaven for yourselves, where neither moth nor rust corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
I suspect that inheriting the earth might involve having legitimate claim to the things of earth that have real value. Wouldn’t that be the souls of men. Notice what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 4:15,

For though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for I have begotten you in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
Paul claimed the Corinthian Christians as his children.

The world had gone away from the path of life. Jesus came to show us the way back and to make the way possible. It cost him more than we can imagine yet he gained the best part of the whole earth, the souls of those who would follow him.

Jesus has said, “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.” I desire this to be my inheritance. How about you?

Father in Heaven thank you so much for this understanding that has alluded me for so long. I have been deceived by the worlds values. Give me grace to remember and to find the grace to be meek so that I can truly inherit the most valuable things of the earth, men’s souls. In Jesus name and for his glory always, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment