Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Motivation not Condemnation (day 51)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. But the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh; so that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:1-4)

I remember the first time I consciously read this passage. My understanding was so small and immature, but I was thrilled that, because I was “in Christ Jesus”, condemnation was no longer a thing I had to fear. I don’t think I even finished the verse consciously.

But let us continue reading. This promise is for those who do not walk or live in agreement with the flesh, but instead live their lives in harmony with the will of the Spirit of God. Once again I see the work of becoming a disciple.

“The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.”

The Law of commandments could never make me free. But the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus overcomes the flesh and gives me power to live a life of victory.

FEAR of damnation will bring me into need. Truly it is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) But coming to the cross in that desperate need and seeing that redemption is freely given creates a deep love and desire in my heart to be pleasing.

That love is the motivation to fulfill the Law by following the leading of the Spirit. Then the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in me as I am learning to walk according to the spirit and not according to the flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment