Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

How I Put My Shoes On (day 69)

Blessed are the peace makers for they shall be called the children of God

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. (Luke 6:45)
Every day almost everyone gets up and puts on their clothes and does their morning what-evers and then heads out to deal with the things and people in their life. When you get ready in the morning, do you get your heart ready for the day?

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

Do you meet the world with peace, or is the tumult of your own life always striking out at others? Who left the toothpaste tube open? Why did you do it that way? Have you heard yourself striking out and then been ashamed, but not known how to make it right? I have. Wouldn’t it be better to not strike out in the first place?

The problem, I believe, is that what is in my heart is not peace.

My days are full of contradictions, little tiny contradictions that irritate me. I imagine yours are also. It’s raining. I can’t find my keys. I lost that phone number. Can you add any that you have seen today?


I spoke about the sturdy shoes for battle 2 days ago. How do I put them on? One way that I have discovered is to begin my day by writing 3 things that I am thankful for. It could be that I am thankful that I can write, and read. It could be that I have heard a gospel that can bring me peace. It could be that on a cold rainy day I have a warm dry place to be. After memorizing and meditation, this is maybe my most profitable spiritual exercise for me. This builds peace in my heart. Sometimes I need to list more than 3. You may as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment