Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2016

The Gospel of Peace (day 67)

Blessed are the peace makers for they shall be called the sons of God.

How lovely on the mountains
Are the feet of him who brings good news,
Who announces peace
And brings good news of happiness,
Who announces salvation,
And says to Zion, “Your God reigns!”
(Isaiah 52:7)

We used to sing this beautiful verse in church. It was very enthusiastic and up-lifting, but I don’t think I ever really thought much about it.

In Ephesians 6:10-18 the apostle Paul is writing about putting on the armor of God so that we can be prepared to do battle with principalities, powers and the world’s rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places (verse 12). In verse 15 he writes;

and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

Thinking of shoes for doing battle, I suspect fashion and style might not be the primary consideration. Practical strong and comfortable in all situations are probably more important.

The gospel of peace, the good news of peace, what does that mean?

God in his great love has seen that we are lost in our own arrogance and lust, and because of that love He sent Jesus to show us the way back to himself and to pay the redemption price for our sin. This is a large part of the gospel of peace.

How do I make peace? How do I share this peace?

I can only say what I have seen. Those who have most effectively brought this peace to me are those who have most fully entered into this peace themselves.

I suspect that this is the way to put on shoes that will stand up in battle and will take peace to those in need.

Father of Love, help me to be ever conscious of the good news of peace that you have given to me. Help me to keep my heart open to you so that my heart will be open to those you love and want to bring into your love. Please dear Father make me an instrument of your peace. In the name of Jesus, the Prince of Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment