Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

A God shaped hole (day 47)

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
Several years ago, in the late 60s or early 70s someone came up with the phrase, “There is a God shaped hole in each of us.” And it’s true. In the center of each of us is a space that only God can fill. Many people in fact most people try to fill that space with other things, but it just won’t work.

Many people try to fill that hole with themselves. Remember Satan told Eve, “You shall be as God...” (Genesis 3:5) So, people have chosen things, pleasures, power or fame to fill that hole. Each of these things are offerings to the one in the center of that God shaped hole. I am not God I will not be satisfied.

Other people try religion to fill that hole. Too often this is just another way of putting myself at the center, in God’s place. When I am so sure that I have all the answers and that anyone who doesn’t agree with me is condemned, I may be self-satisfied but I will not be truly satisfied.

But if I look around and see that, in fact, I only know a little more than nothing about what it means to have God fill that space where he belongs. Then I am truly sorry for my arrogance and pride. Then I quiet myself to allow God to teach me how to be filled with His presence. Then He will come and fill me to my capacity and help me take all of the other things out of that space so that He can continue to fill me.

But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.


Wonderful Father in Heaven, thank you for showing me my error. Give me diligence to humble myself before you so that you can truly fill that space inside me that has always been yours. Then I will be satisfied and give glory to you and your son my savior Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment