Search This Blog

Saturday, January 6, 2018

What Color is Your Fruit?

I have this wonderful Bible program on my computer called e-Sword. (it’s free) There are several free translations and many helps. Among other things there is the ability to highlight passages or words in a very wide verity of colors. It’s very cool.

Today I stopped for a few minutes and looked at the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22 & 23. It occurred to me, “What color would I color each of the characteristics (fruits) mentioned there? What decorations might I add?”

I would ask each of you to consider the same question.

Would you decorate “Love” with pink hearts and flowers. Or with a cross. Maybe it would be some combination of all of the above.

How would you decorate “Joy”? Would it be multicolored fireworks or an empty tomb? Again, it might be a combination of both.

Peace surely should be represented by a comfortable room with a comfortable chair and a cozy fire, overlooking a beautiful wooded lake. Possibly, but I remember meeting a man who had been thrown in a prison ward with murderers and thieves in a Muslim country simply for being a Christ follower. When asked about the experience, he said, “I was happy there.” Now that is Peace.

As I go through each of the fruits of the Spirit individually, each one seems to have a warm fuzzy appearance which I prefer naturally. But as I consider them a little longer, I begin to see a colder, harder side that is often uncomfortable, sometimes even painful.

And I thought of the verse in 2 Corinthians 4:17; and then I read the context. 15-17.

For all things are for your sakes that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause, we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet our inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.

Sometimes following Jesus doesn’t lead us to green pastures and still waters. Sometimes He leads us through the valley of death and into the presence of our enemies. At those times I need to find grace to testify with confidence, “You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment