Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Am I a Disciple? Are You?

A few years ago, I created a discipleship course. I don’t know if it was any good but it was an expression of some of the things that have been a help and encouragement to me. I don’t think the things in it are too far off and I would be happy to share it with any who would request it in the form of a PDF file.

This morning as I was having what has come to be my prayer time the question arose for me. Am I really a disciple of Jesus? And I thought of the verse in Galatians 5:24;
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 
The affections and lusts of the flesh. When Jesus had spoken of the suffering that he must suffer, Peter rebuked him and Jesus said that he did not have a taste for the things that are of God but for the things that are of men. (Mark 8:33)

After all this time I find that I still have a taste for the things of men much more than for the things of God.

As I thought about these things this morning another scripture verse lit up for me with more clarity than I remember it ever having for me before. These are very familiar word of Jesus in John 10:10

The thief does not come except to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come so that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
The lusts and affections are mine! Over the years of my life I have developed a taste for them, by the choices I have made. The thief, Satan, does not put them there. He only tickles them so they come to my attention, so I think about them. Then the process of sin goes into action.

But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and seduced by them.  Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.

The lusts and affections of my flesh only lead to death. The thief only comes to steal (the life that God desires for me) to kill (everything that God is doing in me) and destroy (all of the good that God desires to do in and through me).

Today I believe I see more clearly the death that the enemy brings and the wonderful glorious life that Jesus brings. My resolve to be attentive to the Spirit of God that dwells in me is greatly strengthened. I am only a poor disciple but I am a disciple of Jesus.


If you are interested in the discipleship course email me at beginningdisciples@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment