Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Pointing My Little Fat Finger

The world is full of problems. Many of them seem extremely important. I naturally want to look at the problems, especially the big ones and find out who is to blame. Then boldly and loudly point my little fat finger and accuse who ever I feel is at fault. Is this what I am supposed to be doing?

Is this making a positive difference, or am I just being one more shrieking voice in the cacophony of complainers? It seems that when I do this I am not helping with a solution. Instead I am just adding to the confusion.

I began this by thinking about all of the social problems round about. I tend to accept these as the natural consequence of unredeemed mankind killing one another by benign malicious neglect.

But then! I see myself pointing my little fat finger at organized religion, adding my shriek to the cacophony of those who have been offended for one reason or another. I suspect that this is not helping. What should I be doing?

As I am writing this, one verse comes to my mind. Ezekiel 22:30 says:

I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap, on behalf of the land, so that I would not have to destroy it. But I found none.
It is easier to look at the big social problems and point and shriek.

Can I find a single instance of that problem, that I can affect in a positive way? Can I find a group that is adding to the solution to one of those problems and support them in whatever way that I can?

Mother Theresa is someone who found a place she could help and began there. Her little mission to the poor grew to a worldwide mission serving millions.

Jesus commended someone who would give a cup of water. (Matthew 9:41) I should be doing the thing that I can to reduce the suffering of one. Then just keep doing that.


How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment