Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Truly Someone to Follow (day 7)

For it is clear that it is not the angels that he helps. Instead, he helps the descendants of Abraham. This means that he had to become like his people in every way, in order to be their faithful and merciful High Priest in his service to God, so that the people's sins would be forgiven. And now he can help those who are tempted, because he himself was tempted and suffered. (Hebrews 2:16-18)

This looks like it says that Jesus was just like me. In fact, it seems to say that it was necessary for him to be just like me.

This is amazing and it makes Jesus even more wonderful for me. If he wasn’t just like me, how could he show me how I am supposed to live. He says, “follow me.” I can only follow someone who has my same characteristics and limitations. Jesus did!

For both he that sanctifies and they that are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, (Hebrews 2:11)

And Jesus says, Behold, my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.” (Matthew 12:49-50)

Jesus truly did identify with us and is therefore supremely equipped to show us the way to draw near to the father and to enter into full salvation. He has gone this way before us to show us how to live (Hebrews 12:2). Let us each one decide absolutely to find the grace to follow where he leads.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you so very much that you have made Jesus just like us in order to be the perfect sacrifice and the perfect pioneer to lead each of us back to obedience and salvation. Help us to have receptive hearts to follow more and more faithfully. In the name of our perfect savior and elder brother, Jesus; Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment