Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Sower went out to Sow (day 12)

Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. (Mark 4:3)

This is the beginning of what is called “the parable of the sower” but I believe it should more accurately be called “the parable of the soils.” It is the condition of the soils that is truly what we need to see here.

And what is so important about the soil?

The answer to that lies in the explanation of the parable which comes later in the text. In verses 14 and 15 Jesus is explaining to disciples the meaning of the parable. He says,

The sower sows the Word. And these are those by the wayside, where the Word is sown. And when they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the Word that was sown in their hearts.”

So if you will notice, it is the Word that is sown and it is sown in the heart.

A very wise gentleman once said, ‘The heart is that place where I like it.’ It is not uncommon to hear someone say, ‘I love this house, car, dog, cat” or whatever you like. The place that is called love, that strong emotion of attachment is what this is about. The place where I like it.

Therefore, it would seem reasonable to assume that this parable is about the condition of my heart. Here I can find wonderful instruction to help me be aware of the condition of my own heart by comparing the results of each condition to my own results.

·         Who sows the word in my heart?
·         Does that word grow?
·         Is it producing fruit?
·         Do I think about baseball, cars, kittens or anything else more than I think about the word that has been sown in my heart?

Father in Heaven your word says much about the condition of my heart. Help me to take these words seriously and listen to what you would say to me as I proceed. Today help me to think about what occupies my affection, that place where I like it, and help me be aware of your intention for that place.


No comments:

Post a Comment