Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2016

A Wonderful Terrifying Invitation (day 4)

Jesus says, “Come unto me all of you who labor and are burdened down, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Jesus is inviting those who are burdened down with labor and care. Does that apply to you?

The world is full of sorrow and disappointment. People all around are thoughtless and there seems to be a lot of hatred going around. When I look at myself, I see failure to be the kind of person I believe I should be. And I cannot find the power to change these things in myself.

Jesus is inviting me and he is inviting you, if you are troubled by these things.

It is very important to look at the things Jesus is offering, because what he is proposing can be very frightening. Jesus says, “I will give you rest.” Again, he says, “you will find rest for your soul.” And finally he tells us, “my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

A yoke is a solid device for harnessing the strength of two animals to accomplish the task that the master has for them. Once the yoke is on, there is no escape and the animals must move together. Jesus is inviting you and I to voluntarily step into such a harness. If we will he also promises rest from our labors and cares, and he promises that the burden will be one that we can bear.


Father in Heaven, on one hand this invitation seems too good to be true and on the other hand it sounds too frightening to attempt. Please, give me the courage and the ability to go forward and accept your wonderful terrifying invitation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment