Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2016

Daily thoughts (Day 1)

It has been growing in my mind and heart to learn faithfulness in preparing a Daily Thought to share with those who read this blog. My main emphasis is always Discipleship. My purpose is to share what is a help to me as a disciple. Pray with me that I may be faithful. this first thought is not new but it is relevant. I hope you find it encouraging.


Lately I have been thinking about a question. Why be a disciple of Jesus instead of just a Christian? This morning I got a clear answer. I am so inclined to doing my own will and living in unbelief. If I do not actively practice disciplines that keep the reality of The Living God at the front of my mind I will very quickly blunder into sin. I will do my own will rather than follow Jesus and do the Will of God. I will fall away from the living relationship that he desires for me. Then all that will be left is dead religion.
The Word of God is full of wonderful promises for those who will follow Jesus and DO what he says. the biggest problem is, the things he says to do are contrary to my natural inclination. The only way to learn to do God’s Will is discipline which I have to learn. However, learning them is IMPOSSIBLE, without the Grace of God. That is what grace is for, to give me the power to become a son of God. (John 1:12 KJV)

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1Co 2:9)
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. (John 6:68)
As I begin to consider the disciplines of the disciple, I see a great need to explore and share some of my reasons for pursuing Jesus as a disciple. As I think and pray about this I see that my desire has grown over the years. I also see that it waxes and wanes in different situations. Truly the Grace of God has been the thing that has kept me over the years. He has used different methods and people to teach me more and more about his Love and the life he wants me to live.
I cannot tell anyone what they must do to be a true disciple of Jesus. But, I believe that discipleship is learning to be like the one whose disciple you are. In sharing these things, it is important to understand that I am only a very poor disciple sharing my little reflections and thoughts about the greatest mystery of all (Col. 1:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment