Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2015

Present Darkness

In my everyday life it is evident that there are conflicts. People do things that tend to irritate. I am disappointed with things that I do and with the things I do not accomplish; I am even in conflict with myself. Ephesians 6:12 clearly says that the conflict is not with other people and to some degree not even with myself. There are spiritual forces at work that fight against me and against the will of God.

There was a popular book several years ago about the rulers of the darkness of this world. It focused on spiritual beings that affected people and their behavior. As I was reading this passage I became aware of another darkness that strongly affects the people of this present age and time. It has far too great an affect on me and I suppose others may be able to see how it affects them as well.

The darkness I am referring to is the darkness that entered the world in the Garden of Eden. I am not speaking of original sin or sin nature. These seem to me to be Theological terms with little meaning. Rather I am simply referring to the introduction of another point of reference. Before Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil God was the point of reference that said what was good and what was not good. Once they took the knowledge of good and evil for themselves the conflict began.

Jesus came with a different point of reference than was common in the world at that time and now. His central and main point of reference was God’s will, even at the point of being beaten and crucified (ref Luke 22:42). He didn’t even speak his own words but waited and spoke the words from the father (ref John 14:10).

In verse 10 we are encouraged to “be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might.” The strength of Jesus is the strength and power of humility. In Philippians 2:5-8 we can read, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus: Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”

The strength and the might of Jesus was not his own strength or might, rather his strength and might was in the fact that he humbled himself and was obedient to God in all things.

The darkness of this present age is the spirit in each of us that says “I know what is good and what is evil.”


It’s something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment