Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Fact and Truth

In one of the Indiana Jones movies Dr. Jones makes a profound statement. He says, “We deal with facts not truth, if you want to know about truth go to the philosophy department.” The thing that is profound is that facts and truth are not always the same thing.

The fact is I have sin active in my flesh and have often chosen to do sin (1 John 1:8). The truth is I can have victory over my sin (1 Corinthians 10:13, 1 John 2:1).The fact is God sees my sin (Psalms 139:23-24). The truth is that God’s vision for me is that I do overcome and have victory (Romans 8:29). If I focus my attention on the facts I will be discouraged and frustrated, but if in view of the facts I focus on the truth I will have hope and be encouraged.

Ephesians 6:14 says “Therefore STAND having your loins girded about with truth, and having the breastplate of righteousness.” We don’t hear a lot about girdles anymore, but when I was young a lot of women would wear girdles to hold their stomachs in but they also provided support and comfort. The girdle of truth is there to support and comfort us in the world of facts that would discourage and tear us down.

Notice also that the girdle is flexible and will encourage and support in many situations. Each of us needs to find the word and words of truth that will comfort and encourage us individually and apply that to our own life. What words help you when you see your weakness to not be discouraged and to overcome in the time of temptation? I would encourage you to commit those to memory and think about them, meditate on them, even to write about them.

As the girdle of truth is flexible and can fit each individual in their various needs, the breastplate of righteousness is a solid plate that will cover all who will put it on. Our righteousness is our accepting the sacrifice that Jesus made to pay for our sin. My righteousness is accepting the fact that I can never do enough good to erase or cover all of the corruption that I have embraced, and in complete poverty of spirit humbly and confidently placing all of my hope on the cross of Christ Jesus. Jesus truly did pay it all and that is the solid breastplate of my righteousness which I must consciously put on every day and usually more often than just every day.

Does the truth that you hold in your mind and heart comfort, strengthen, encourage and protect you?


It’s something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment