Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Get Dressed for the Day

When I get up in the morning, I check the weather to see what the day looks like, so I will know how to dress for the day. I do that every day. Then I get dressed appropriately to what the day is going to be and according to what I need to be doing in the day. I imagine you do something similar.

When the children of Israel came to the Jordan River after 300 years in captivity and 40 years in the desert, they were given specific instruction about how far to follow the Ark of God. Joshua said “Because you have not passed this way before.” (Joshua 3) As I am on a spiritual journey into the Promised Land of the Kingdom of God, every day I meet things in my life that need to be conquered and put to death so that Christ can be formed in me. I may have met these things before, but many of them I have not realized that I have a responsibility to destroy. In the same way therefore I have not passed this way before.

Every day is a new day that I have never known before. It is only reasonable that when I am going somewhere I have never been that I see if I can get some clear directions for how to navigate in the new day. When I was driving a truck, I learned to always get specific turn by turn directions for how to get to my destination. In many situations this was very important because there were hazards that could not be navigated if I strayed from the correct route.

After writing about the principalities, powers and rulers of this present darkness and wickedness in high places Paul exhorts us to get dressed appropriately for what the day has in store so that we can function as we should in our place.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore…  (Ephesians 6:13 +)

Recently I am impressed with the emphasis of the evil day. Each day I need to prepare. Each day I need to put on the armor of God because I will face enemies in my flesh that will conquer me if I am not prepared.

God’s intention for me is that I become like Jesus. If I am becoming angry when things don’t go my way I am not becoming like Jesus. If my words are not glorifying to God, I am not becoming like Jesus. If my heart is full of desires other than to please God, I am not becoming like Jesus. If I am not loving like Jesus loved, I am not becoming like Jesus. In these cases and many more I am not standing in my place because I am not prepared and clothed spiritually.

I must be properly clothed each day for the day’s activities. This is true spiritually even more than physically.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment