Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2018

The Discipline of Daily Reading


After that, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax collector's desk. He told him, "Follow me!" So, Levi left everything behind, got up, and followed him. (Luke 5:27-28)
This is just one of the times Jesus told someone to “Follow me!” Some did and others didn’t follow him. He offers the same invitation today  

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
But how can we follow Jesus as the disciples of his day did, leaving everything and following him?

Yesterday I wrote about the disciplines of a disciple. I don’t have all of the answers to this question, nor do I claim to have mastered all of the disciplines of a disciple.

One thing I have found extremely helpful in learning to follow Jesus is to take time every day to slow down and read from the Gospels. I simply read 1 chapter in the morning and work my way through the Gospels and then start through again. Sometimes I will repeat a chapter for 2 or more days when I see things that I need to think about more. Other times I will progress from chapter to chapter for several days. But I almost always see something that is important for me to think about.

In this way I can walk with Jesus every day and see how he lived and learn from his teaching. This surely is a part of the disciplines of a disciple.

I hope that if you have not established this small discipline, you will consider incorporating it into you schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment