Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2018

I Need to Listen Better


My current favorite preacher just recently finished a series of sermons entitled “SILL HERE” he spoke about the benefits of meditation. Last week he started a series entitled “STILL HEAR” and he is speaking about the value of listening carefully.

Today is Veterans Day. I am a Viet Nam combat veteran. Please do not thank me for my service, I was drafted. I have come to a conviction about non-violence. I realize that this is not a universal conviction among Christians and I am content to leave it there and trust God to speak to each one in this regard. Last evening the church that I attend had a veteran’s dinner. Since my brothers were singing and I’m pretty down with free food, I went. It was extremely stressful for me!

I came away from what was intended to be a pleasant evening frustrated and 2/3 angry. The people who planned the evening were not at fault. The meal was very tasty. The people who prepared and presented the program were not at fault. The problem is completely mine.

I failed to listen.

There are so many indicators in my life and thinking that say that I should simply avoid this type of event. I ignored them and went anyway. I was obnoxious and irritable the whole time.

This morning after a good deal of wrestling with this whole matter I see that, listening is a thing that I need to work much harder at doing. First, I need to listen very carefully to what God is saying to me through his word, the Bible, and through his Word Jesus. I need to be still and listen to the Holy Spirit of God.

Second, I need to listen much more carefully to those around me that I deal with from day to day.

In several places Jesus has said, “Let him who has ears to hear, hear what the Spirit says.” And James wrote, “Therefore, my beloved brothers, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.” (James 1:19)

LISTEN.

1 comment: