Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Three Practical Instructions (day 70)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
Towards the end of 1 Thessalonians Paul gives some practical instructions that are very helpful if I will follow them.

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesying. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:14-22)

Right in the middle of these very practical instructions are 3 that are wonderfully helpful, once again, if I will follow them.

·         Rejoice evermore.
·         Pray without ceasing.
·         In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

In order to bring peace into a situation I must have peace within myself. As I have followed these instructions and to the degree that I have followed them, I have experienced great peace.

It is very important that I also say, these instructions are often not easy or pleasant to follow. Take a look at the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11. Most of them were doing what they were instructed to do, and it was often not pleasant. Although many of them did not see the reward of their faithfulness in the flesh, they worked in peace.

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say, Rejoice! Let your moderation be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4-7)


This is the Word of God! If I will take heed, pay attention, obey, submit to this authority, I will find peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment