Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Temtation, Sin, and Forgiveness

 

I have read and reread Luke 17 many times in different translations and today I saw something I don’t think I had ever noticed before. Jesus is talking to the disciples about temptation, sin and forgiveness. In verse 4 he says something that really took me off guard. Speaking of my brother sinning and repenting, Jesus says;

 

  and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' you must forgive him."

 

 Please note that this is for Disciples. Jesus simply said, “if he turns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’” All he has to do is say ‘I repent’. I want some evidence of repentance. Surely, he must do more than just mouth some words. Jesus says all he has to do is say, ‘I repent’, and then he says you must forgive him.

 

How often have I gone to my Father and said, “I’m sorry, please forgive me,” only to turn around and do the same thing again? Our perfect God and heavenly Father is everlastingly merciful, and Jesus tells us to be perfect as our heavenly father is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)

 

Just another lesson in becoming like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment