Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Nothing Will Stay Hidden


My daughter told me that she heard the perfect description of me. She said that I am so slow that it takes me 2 hours to watch 60 minutes. She might be on to something.

So, this morning, in Luke 12, I got two whole verses beyond where I was Friday. Jesus said,

For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops. (Luke 12:2-3)

When I saw this, I was impressed with how lightly we seem to take the words of Jesus. Jesus says nothing is covered that shall not be revealed.

If I really believe this, will my daily life be different? How many times do I make comments, on the side, only for certain ears? Well those words will be proclaimed from the housetop. If you think politicians and celebrities are scrutinized and exposed by the media and the grocery store magazines, that’s nothing to what awaits each of us.

Jesus also says,

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36)

This is not a new idea for me, but it seems I need to be reminded often of the truth that I know. Our words may be a lot more important than we realize. I believe this is true.

Thinking about this I remembered that Jesus said that he didn’t speak on his own but from the father (John 14:10). Those born again of God have God’s Spirit to guide us. Let us each one learn more diligence in our speech to speak only as we are led by the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment