Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Little Wooden Cross


Once when I was still driving trucks all over the country, I had some time to sit and read and think and pray. I found a little piece of wood broken off from a pallet and began to whittle on it and decided to make a small cross that I could wear. So, with this little piece of wood and a little piece of string I fashioned a small cross. On the cross I wrote the scripture reference Luke 9:23-24.

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. 

Of the 3 references to this statement that we find in the Gospels, this is the only one that says, “daily”, and that spoke to me and still does.

The idea of daily taking up my cross seems harsh, and yet though it is referred to often I don’t know if I have ever heard it explained in a practical way.

This morning, in my quiet time, I went to a familiar passage in James 1:2

My friends, consider yourselves fortunate when all kinds of trials come your way, (good news bible)

Other translations say “Count it all joy”.

That idea of all joy really struck me. Something in me rose up in rebellion against that idea. Turns out I’ve been pretty much of a grump for a long time. Things irritate me and I get grumpy. The weather is unpleasant and I get depressed. People are offensive and I get impatient. Circumstances are difficult and I get burdened down. These are just a few kinds of trials and I have had the exact wrong attitude. Scripture says Count it all joy.

The cross that I wear around my neck is to remind me to put my natural reactions on the cross that should be active in my heart, with joy.

This is a way for me to take up my cross daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment