Search This Blog

Saturday, October 7, 2017

How did Jesus overcome Sin?

How did Jesus Overcome Sin?

This may seem like a moot question, since Jesus was God and God cannot be tempted. That’s a whole other problem for another time, maybe.

In Hebrews it says He was tempted in all points in the same way we are yet he did not sin. (Hebrews 4:15) After Jesus was baptized in Matthew 3, in Matthew 4 It says, “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit up into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.” Hmm?

The story that follows is one of Satan, the Devil, tempting Jesus with a proposition and Jesus answering with a scripture. It all seems pretty simple. Just memorize a bunch of scriptures then you will always have an answer for the Devil. Ever tried that? I have and I have found that when temptation arises I forget to think about the correct answer. Temptation doesn’t seem to arrive with an announcement on a schedule, there is no flashing orange light to alert you. Temptation is the flash of a thought to think or do something that in hindsight I will regret. Then, before I consider the words of Scripture, I act in the wrong way.

Why was Jesus successful and I am not? I believe the answer can be found in Psalms 119:11. “I have hidden Your Word in my heart, so that I might not sin against you.” My heart is where I need to hide Scripture. My heart is where I hold the things that I truly care about, the things I love. Memorizing scripture is not enough.

I need to hide God’s Word in my heart. David was speaking about the Scriptures. But, since I have a new understanding of The Word of God, I need to hide Jesus, the Word of God, and appropriate Scripture, also the word of God in that place where I love them.

This hiding process is the act of meditating on the life and teachings of God’s Word. Memorize, then repeat back to God until those words and the person of Jesus are firmly in residence in my heart.

When the Word of God has first place in my heart resisting the lusts of my flesh becomes much more natural.

Happily, I can say that this is how I have experienced some success. Still much to conquer.


It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment