Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Truely a Best Friend

Do you have a best friend? That probably means different things to different people. I had a best friend in high school. His name was Dave. We did all sorts of things together. We went hunting. We went camping. We rebuilt his dad’s ’54 Chevy. Well mostly he did, but I helped. I did things with his family and he did things with mine. And we knew stuff about each other; maybe stuff that no one else knew.


We knew other things about each other. I liked classical music, Dave didn’t. I liked Florsheim shoes and Haggar slacks, Dave didn’t care. But we liked a lot of the same things and we spent a lot of time together. I went off to college and Dave went to work. I have seen him a couple of times since then.

This little trip down memory lane is brought on by a verse I read the other day that caused me to think about ‘best friends’.
John 14:21 says

He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him.

LOOK at that last phrase. What a crazy wonderful thing to think about. Jesus is beside God the Father in the true ‘Holy of Holies’. He sees into the very heart of God. He loves each of us with unimaginable love, and he wants to reveal himself to us.

Sometimes revelation is not pleasant. Some things you just don’t want to know. You know what I’m talking about, things like old people talk about. My granddaughter will say, “TMI Papa”. (Too much information) But what Jesus is talking about is on the other side of that universe.

What does Jesus want to reveal to me, to you? Some of the things may not be pleasant at the moment. There are things in my life he wants to remove. Do I want to hear about that? My flesh doesn’t but the spirit of God dwelling in me longs to hear and receive help to work with my heavenly father to remove what needs to be removed and receive what needs to be added.

He also wants to help us see the glory that we can experience if we truly follow him! Now that is a best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment