Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rest in God

I have decided that I should work on one aspect of my spiritual walk at a time and write about my discoveries in these things regularly. With that in mind, the first things that come to my mind are a statement and a verse from God’s Word.

The statement was by a brother, Elias Aslaksen, who lived from 1888 to 1976 mostly in Norway. He served the Christian Church in Norway for several years. I have a paper entitled “Seven Important Exhortations” which is credited to Brother Aslaksen. The 4th exhortation says, “I exhort each and everyone to work powerfully in order to enter into perfect rest IN GOD, without exception!”

The scripture verse that I am working from is Hebrews 4:11, “Therefore let us labor to enter into that rest lest anyone fall after the same example of unbelief.” (Modern King James Version)

I am first of all fascinated by the apparent contradiction within the sentence “Labor to enter rest.” The Revised Version says “give diligence” and the English Standard Version says “strive”.

There is so much here to look at and so much to receive from God. The main thing that appears to stand in the way of my receiving what Our Father wants to give me is “unbelief”. It seems that unbelief is the natural response to God’s will and promises. Therefore I must work, strive, be diligent to overcome my natural unbelief with completely satisfying belief in God and his wonderful love, mercy and will.

We can say we believe all sorts of things, but my life shows very accurately what I truly do believe. What do I habitually think about? What are the words that casually come from my heart (Lk 6:45)? What do the refreshment, entertainment and/or diversions that I choose say about my belief?

Jesus says, “Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls.” (Matt 11:29) This is the short answer that defines my life’s work and the labor and strife for all who would truly desire to be Christians.

So this is where I am working and I am amazed that the life in the spirit somehow is always whole in each part. I think I will be writing more about my work of entering into rest in God. If you have had success or insight in this area, please offer your comments so we can each receive from the other.

Be faithful, Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment