Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jesus Was Amazed

Some translations say Jesus marveled others say he was amazed and still others say he wondered. What could have created such a profound effect in our Lord? In another place it says he was hindered by this same situation.


As I travel around and visit with Christians in chapels and churches sometimes we get into discussions about different things. There was one time at a coffee house a few years ago when I was visiting with some folks and there was one who seemed to be the dominant one. After some time I asked him, “What do you believe?” He had expressed a good deal of criticism for most of Christendom and I was curious. His response amazed me. He began to tell me a list of things he did not believe. I pressed him for some time but in everything his response was only a list of the things he did not believe. This was a very extreme example

However, there is a tendency in many of us to be sure, no one mistakes us for those “Pentecostals” or the “name it and claim it” crowd. Tongues, prophesy, words of wisdom and especially healing are not for today. Until someone we care about has a serious condition, then we pray for all we’re worth. Of course we add, “If it be your will, Oh Lord.”

It is amazing how we can ignore clear instructions in God’s word about all of these things simply because some have abused them, or taken things out of context. Sometimes it seems we would rather just take things out rather than take a chance.

It seems that in this country we are so smart that we have described the limits of God’s work in carefully worded theological arguments. There are places where they still have healings and raise the dead. Primitive people see angels and hear them sing.

I strongly suspect that there are many things God is hindered from doing for us and through us because of our amazing unbelief.

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. Heb 3:12

So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. Heb 3:19

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? Luke 18:8

By the way the passage I was referring to in the beginning is Mark 6:6.

Is God as narrow as many of the “Bible Teachers”? I am more afraid that he will find fault with me because of unbelief, than that he will condemn me for wrongly trying to apply some scripture because I am small and stupid.

Be more afraid of unbelief than of getting it wrong. I’m pretty sure we all get a lot of it wrong. If we get it wrong at least we were trying to get it right.

These are just some things I have thought about and areas where I believe I need to grow.


Let us all grow in the Grace that is in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment