Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Just a Couple Fish Sandwiches


There is a phrase that I hear from time and I think I might not have understood it correctly. Some one will say, “Wow! That blows my mind.” That creates a mental picture of a violent explosion, something like a semi-truck tire blowing going down the highway. Most of the time though, I suspect our mind being blown is pretty quiet.

In the Gospels we can read the story of “The Transfiguration”. Try to think about that. Nope, I have no idea about what happened. Later Jesus heals a demon possessed boy. We would probably have taken him to see a neurologist. And then a little later Jesus says, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.” This statement is not confusing to us. But then we have the benefit of history to guide us.

Any one of these events experienced or heard in the context of the time would be too big for any of us to fully comprehend. It’s like a hole in the side of my brain just opens up and the whole idea leaks out and I forget it, or minimalize it to a “Golden Book” unreality.

In John 6, there is a story about a boy who brought his lunch to hear Jesus speak. They ended up asking him to share his lunch with the 5,000 others who had shown up without lunch. He did, and again we know what happened, but what happened to the mind of that boy. I think his mind was probably blown, but I think he had a story to tell for the rest of his life, that changed his life.

And as he shared his story about the teacher from Galilee, many other lives were changed.

So here is an idea that may be difficult to appreciate. God the Creator has made you and me in his image. Each of us have creative abilities. As we use our creative abilities in obedience to God, he will use those gifts to bless others, maybe thousands.

Don’t let that idea blow your mind. Think about it. Act upon it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment