Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Oil and light

Jesus told a story about 10 virgins waiting for the bridegroom. (Matthew 25:1-13) He said 5 were wise and 5 were foolish. The wise brought oil in their vessels.

I think I may have found a little more understanding about how this works in practical living. This morning I was reading in the Gospel of Matthew, endeavoring to listen for the Spirit of God to speak to my heart. Lately the analogy of salt and light has been coming to mind frequently (really for some time). I was thinking about things like 1 Peter 3:15. “…ready always to give an answer to all who ask you for a reason for the hope that is in you”. Suddenly I realized, no one has asked me for a reason for the hope that is within me.

The realization is clear and painful. My light is not shining so that those around me are amazed and interested.

The 5 wise virgins did 2 things. They brought oil in their vessels and they trimmed their lamps so they would burn clear and bright.

I think the oil in my vessel is the Word of God, the Scriptures, hidden in my heart (psalms 119:11). These are Scriptures memorized and meditated upon until they find a home in my heart. “In my heart”, that is the place where I embrace things and hold them dear, in reality, not just in a catchy tune.

They also all trimmed their lamps. This refers to the part of the wick that is burnt and will not allow the lamp to burn brightly. I am sure there is much to apply to my life here as well but the pain of seeing clearly my need is enough to think about for the time being. And I must take action to correct the problem.


It’s something to think about

2 comments:

  1. The oil must be of freshly pressed olives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand your comment. Could you give more practical detail. Thanks

      Delete